Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Random Thoughts: Two Days To Go

Book of the Week: See yesterday’s post...

It’s been a Scottish weather kind of day. Started off all doom and gloom, but brightened considerably towards the evening. Or does that usually work in reverse. Usually it’s a case of waiting five minutes if you don’t like the weather…

Anyway – I know I’m never going to be a domestic goddess but last night (or rather, very early this morning) confirmed it. OK, so my housekeeping skills need work, so to get hear from Miks that my efforts at scrubbing the bathrooms weren’t too bad was a compliment. But then he went in for a shower, and there was a very long, pissed-off, “What-lahhhh…” – Oops. He’d found one of my hairs draped over the toilet roll. Ah well. I guess I should know better than to leave even a fleck of kerastase anywhere within a 10km radius. Never going to pass Kim and Aggie’s clean tests this way. Now that I look back on it, it was actually quite funny (though it didn’t feel so at the time). Ended up arguing like two five-year-olds (YOU do it! No, YOU do it!), and wound up in the living room together, both of us in extremely bad moods and very huffy, not talking to each other, but with me watching the first half of the Liverpool v Barcelona return leg at Anfield.

(Lapsing into stream of consciousness here – a.k.a car-crash change of topic – although I can’t stand Liverpool, I’m glad they won. Lesser of the two evils! Man Utd v Lille tonight at 3.45am, hope the Reds bang three past the Frenchies. That’ll shut them up, whinging about Giggs’ quickie free-kick goal. And I hope UEFA comes down hard on them for trying to walk off the pitch too. Muppets.)

And then, when I woke up, terrified at the prospect of not having all my stuff boxed and ready in time for The Big Move next month, I did more than the usual today – and now, after cramming as many books as I could into another four boxes, I am not sure if actually finishing packing isn’t the scarier option.

My books already take up something like seven boxes, and I still have another two bookcases to go. And that’s not including the one-and-a-half tonnes of tomes I’m leaving behind, which have been squeezed into every corner of my folks’ house, in boxes under the bed, in crevices between cupboards and corners of wardrobes (before I left for university, my Dad suggested that I donate my books to the library... any damn library). I’m sure there are plenty of people out there with shedloads (literally) more books than I have, but I’m beginning to realize that it’s really rather frightening the number of books one can amass in a lifetime. Perhaps, instead of saving up to buy my own little flat, I should instead be looking at warehouses and/or storage space for rent.

On the upside, I worked up the courage to e-mail a total stranger today. Actually, that isn’t really a first because I did it all the time (still do) in my line of work, but it was usually a request for an interview, clarification or press stills. I e-mailed this person for a personal favour, and as I have problems asking that of people I don’t know, I just had to tell myself face wasn’t as important as Coconut’s well-being. This person might be able to help me find a home for Coconut – fingers crossed. She seems to network quite a lot – if she puts the word out that there’s a guinea pig for adoption, she’ll be able to reach a lot more people. It’d be like Coconut’s very own PR campaign. I hope something good comes out of it because Coconut deserves a good home.

Norlin e-mailed to inform the rest of the YABC (that’s Yogi’s Angels & Bitches Club – of which I am a proud member – it sounds kinky, but alas, it’s not!) of the barbecue on Saturday. It was a very sweet e-mail – “we’re having a barbecue for May and Gareth”. Awww! It’s like a hello/goodbye party. I secretly hope they all come because they’ll miss me and don’t know when we’ll have another YABC Bitch Fit at Fasta Pasta again, but I’m sure they’ll attend because they all want to see the ang moh and give him the third degree… I do love barbecues at Norlin’s – they are extremely fun, feel-good events. (We’ll have to do the washing up this time, though, as her maid ran off with the boyfriend a couple of days ago.) Can’t wait.

Ken’s also added me as a contributor to his New Zealand blog, no idea why, but in all probability in anticipation of the experiences (and travel tips!) Gareth and I will very likely have after our trip next month. We’ve both never been so far south of the equator before, but anywhere I haven’t been to is a good place to go. Like I said a couple of lines ago: can’t wait.

Factoids of the Week:
I haven’t read anything today, so nothing. Yes, I’m slacking. Sue me.

No comments: