Friday, April 20, 2007

Hypochondria?

Book of the Week: Turning Angel by Greg Iles

Woke up this morning with an image of Dirty Harry in my head, but for the life of me could not remember the name of the actor who played him. Clive? Hence the need to get online so early in the morning. I had to know. It’s been happening for a while now – my synapses are no longer firing connections I could once make in mere nano-seconds. Can’t name a tune, recall the last three books I’ve read, play put a name to a face, or even spell words correctly. I am not in denial that I’m getting older; I am simply absolutely terrified that my memory is going, or that a tumour is growing in my medula oblongata somewhere. I need to get my brain scanned or work it out more.

Factoids of the Week:
You expect me to remember?

2 comments:

Gareth Brown said...

Maybe it's just jetlag... (and getting older)

Mithrin said...

There is a simple test to see if it is a brain tumour:

1. Stand on one leg - we will use the left leg (note it's important to use the same eye and hand as the leg you choose, as this tests the opposite side of the brain - in this case the right side).
2. Close your left eye.
3. Touch your nose with your left index finger.
4. Finally count down from 100 to 0 in steps of 3 - i.e. 100, 97, 94, 91, etc...

Then repeat with the other side of your body.

If you fall over at anytime, have to open your eye, take longer than 1 minute to do the count, or don't end on zero it's worth contacting your GP.