Monday, December 31, 2007

Memories of 2007

Book of the Week: Just finished The Poet by Michael Connelly. Very enjoyable.

I’m sitting here in my flumpy clothes, relaxing at home after a day that just flew by at work (six stories on West Fife recipients of New Year’s honours – barely saw the hours go by). I’ve just had a couple of lovely, warming Mathieson’s pies and a pack of chicken-and-herb Super Noodles, which had a similar effect. Gareth and I are keeping an eye on World’s Strongest Man, enjoying each other’s company but simultaneously doing other things – I’m writing this and he’s trying to finish his Wasgij puzzle.

We’re basically unwinding, but I’m aware – in the sense that you’re aware of something important that needs to be done, like packing your clothes for a last-minute trip tomorrow – that it’s New Year’s Eve (sorry, Hogmanay, as this is Scotland). Another three hours and we’re into 2008. I’ll be 36 – third cycle of the Chinese zodiac – and it’s scary how the last six years have just zipped by. It feels like not too long ago that I was 30, only halfway to the third cycle, and next year (two and a half hours now) I’ll be there. It’s true – once you hit 30, your life just slips past without you noticing it. I mean, half my life ago I was in Lower Six.

But I think I’ll leave that for my actual 36th birthday. No point getting ahead of myself and having another mid-life crisis before it’s due (it’ll only be my… umm… sixth, I think). Right now, on the threshold of a new year, I think I should be in a more contemplative mood and reflect on the year past. It’s one that’s gone by in the blink of an eye – quite possibly the fastest in my mind. And here are my memories.

January
Uncle Leong’s death and funeral dealt the family an emotional blow.
Adopted Coconut.
One of the most depressing Chinese New Years of my life – the loss of an uncle compounded by being told some very devastatingly hurtful things by someone I love very much. It made me think that moving to Scotland was a good move after all.
On the bright side, found out that the first Lee baby would be born in June.

February
After months of hassle, finally got my Fresh Talent visa – on way to becoming bona fide UK resident!

March
Gareth stopped over in Malaysia on his round-the-world trip. Had a good two weeks meeting the dogs, my relatives and seeing Kuantan.
Went to Cambodia and had that familiar “a little more of life lived” feeling. Hadn’t had that for a long time. Angkor Wat blew our minds. It was very hot and dusty, but the Coconut Dream smoothies we had at our guesthouse more than slaked our thirsts.

April
Found home for Coconut. Had fears and reservations about Minni and family initially, but I now know that it was the right choice. They’ve really spoiled him. He even has a new friend, Rocky!
Went to New Zealand. I think I left it 10 years too late to truly have that “a little more of life lived” feeling – in 1997, it would have gone into overdrive. Too many pseudo-uber-cool culture-travel wannabes (you know, the “I’m a traveller, everyone else is a tourist” types) killed it for me I think. Must go back, this time without the dizzying whizzing around.
Tidied up all my belongings in one week. My whole life, over the last 15 years, reduced to 18 boxes. Made me wonder if I had actually accumulated anything of real value.
Arrived Scotland to officially begin new life.

May
Started new job. Two weeks later, had my first experience of the self-important, pompous windbags scattered throughout West Fife.
Madeleine McCann went missing. SNP voted into power in Scotland.
Had our first archery lesson together at Cluny Clays.
Turned 35. Officially middle-aged now. Worked on my birthday for the first time in seven years. Went to Room With A View at the Forthview Hotel and tried the mind-blowing monkfish wrapped in Parma ham.

June
Went to Kelvingrove on a cold, rainy afternoon. Fabulous. Learnt so much!
Stayed in a castle! Dream come true! Didn’t feel too castle-y – more Scottish country house with lofty ambitions – but fact remains: have stayed in a castle. Enduring memory is of Gareth not telling me how spooked he was after watching Dr Who, to the point of seeing nasty thingies in the window panes. But then again, he was the one who’d read that the castle was haunted, not me.
Stopped at Pitlochry and met Jane’s daughter Amy Bo for the first time.
Procession of Inverkeithing Highland Games went past our Parisian balcony. Scooby-Doo and the Incredible Hulk stuck out amidst the tartan.
Went for our first drive together up the East Neuk and had the best fish supper in Scotland in Anstruther. Loved Crail especially and really hope we can have a getaway – or picnic – there soon.
Bruce Festival in Pittencrieff Park. Loved the jousting!
Attended the Riding as part of the opening of the third session of Parliament. Came back and saw myself on STV news. Also got the news about Glasgow Airport and Toby being born.

July
Graduated. Can now officially add the extra five letters after my name.
Stirling – my first real Highland Games!
Hosted our first Couchsurfing guest. A smoker, no less! I must be more liberal and tolerant than I give myself credit for, I think.

August
Went down to Nailsworth to visit Dina, Tim and newborn Toby. Wonder if it was even worth it…? Cirencester was great though.
Stayed the weekend at Lorna’s at St Fillans. Absolutely spiffing Enid Blyton type house with fantastic Highland village atmosphere. Had great fun at the fete. Went walking.
Chris visited. Did Loch Leven and East Neuk. His driving sets my teeth on edge! Must learn to drive before his next visit.
Went to East End Park to see my first football match in the UK. Ever. And it was a UEFA match too – Dunfermline Athletic v BK Hacken. Crap teams, yes, but still... a UEFA match...

September
Went to Stockholm and Gothenburg. Object lesson in how Ikea is not Sweden, and vice-versa. Some places looked more Glaswegian than Swedish. Rough shite Glaswegian, that is, not Kelvingrove.
The upside to the trip was that we had our first experience as Couchsurfing guests, and it was just fantastic.
Started thinking seriously about making a round-the-world trip together without flying. That would be a trip!

October
Went to Pitlochry for the Autumn Festival. One of the most romantic weekends we’d been on. The perfect getaway. Lovely autumnal weather, amusing and engaging entertainment (the sound and light show at Faskally Wood, the ghost tour) and warm, snuggly accommodation.
Also went to see Jane again on the way down. Amy can now walk!

November
Had my best lazy weekend of the year. Morning cuddles, an amazing fried breakfast, a movie, then nothing but books – travel, at Borders.
After 10 years, I finally saw the funeral of Diana in full. I always knew I was a decade behind.
Gua Ma died peacefully in her sleep. Rest in peace. We shall all miss you.

December
Christmas. We did our first “12 Days of Christmas” together – I’d done it for Mum and Dad in the past – and it was really something special. We look forward to coming home every day, but those two weeks really gave us something to look forward to. Sometimes, just to think of it at work was enough to keep me going. I got 12 lovely gifts, none of which was a book neither.
Played Mr & Mrs and discovered that we actually know each other better than we give ourselves credit for. Was a surprise how much we think alike and understand each other.
Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. Still remember 1988, when she was elected leader. How my political views have changed since then.
Worked my first Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve for the first time in seven years. Times like these, I really miss working in Malaysia, with all its public holidays and laid-back time off.
And now I’m celebrating my first Hogmanay as a working girl in Scotland. Not worked for the last two years!

Looking back on our big to-do list, I don’t think we managed to complete a whole lot. I didn’t read enough, for starters. I didn’t travel enough. But putting down what it is I want to do has certainly directed how I spend my time, and has made me do more of what makes me happy. And thanks to that list, I have a lot to look back on this year. I’m sure I’ve missed out a few memories, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind and which will bring many smiles to my heart in the years to come.

Here’s to making many, many more memories in 2008. Happy new year. May we continue to be blessed with love, health, happiness and each other.

Factoids of the Week:
The word Blighty comes from “biyalti”, the Urdu for homeland. From Urdu also came “kushi”, which in time became cushy – comfortable or pleasant.

The trench coat – today a fashion staple – was devised by clothing manufacturers to keep officers warm and dry, and the belt rings were a feature originally used to carry hand grenades.

There are 17 surviving versions of the Magna Carta – which is really several documents rather than just the one definitive charter. And the plural of Magna Carta is Magnae Cartae.

The whale is descended from a raccoon-like creature called the Indonyus.

The Australian town of Eucla has its own time zone – 45 minutes ahead of Western Australia and 45 minutes behind South Australia. Isn’t the maths involved fabulous?!

The Tabula Peutingeriana, a parchment scroll dating from the 12th or 13th century, is the only surviving copy of a road map from the late Roman Empire. It’s housed in the Austrian National Library. I wanna see that. Something to add to the Big To-Do List, methinks...

No comments: