Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Not A Good Start...

Book of the Week: Just starting on The Narrows by Michael Connelly

The first 24 hours of 2008 haven’t exactly been very good. First there was a minor spat this morning – it was assumed I was in a bad mood when I really wasn’t – which, naturally, got me pissed off AND in a bad mood, not least because I didn’t want to start the New Year on such a crap note, and having a wee argument isn’t the first thing you want to do after waking up. (I can’t help it! I have a grumpy face! Either that or I think I need to lighten up.)

And then, on the way back from Clackmannan after dinner, I realised that not only am I going to be in a new marketing questionnaire age category this year – I’ll no longer be in the target 18-35 group but be one of the 36-45s. AUUUUGH! And not just that… I’m also getting scarily close to 40. Only four more years! It’s not like it’s just dawned on me that I’ll be 40 – I’ve been aware of it even since I turned 30 – but that it’s so close now just freaks me out. Doesn’t help that the last six years have just zipped past. I foresee a mid-life crisis every birthday for the next four years.

God. I’m depressed.

Factoids of the Week:
Only 53% of the population of China speaks Mandarin (or to be precise “can effectively communicate” in the language).

The average duvet is home to 20,000 dust mites. This is turning out to be a great New Year, isn’t it? I’m going to sleep really well tonight...

Books used to be bound in human skin. And the condition of being born without an ear is called microtia.

Dogs can have two noses. Still cute and cool, though they do look a bit like the love children of Miss Piggy and something out of science fiction.

No comments: